[linux-audio-user] Linux and Standards

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 18:52:13 EST 2004

On 02 Nov 2004 13:49:47 -0800, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano
<nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 12:25, Lee Revell wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 09:20 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > On the other hand changes in Wine's memory management broke all VST
> > > support under Wine on May 24th at 8:30 PM. If you left work at 6PM
> > > then when you arrived the next morning that capability was literally
> > > broken overnight. ;-)
> >
> > This is exactly the expected behavior when you blindly update packages
> > from cron in the middle of the night.  Sorry, Wine did not break your
> > system, you did.
>
> Not necessarily. You can upgrade the package with full knowledge of what
> you are doing, read all the release notes, and then discover that
> something in that package breaks some other thing, and that the "Quality
> Control Division" missed it :-) It happens, not very often of course.
>
> -- Fernando

LOL!! Quality Control in Linux software?!?! There ain't no such
thing!! This stuff just gets pumped out by developers and user are the
quality control division.

Since Lee seems to have bit quite hard on my little joke, for clarity,
even the Wine people didn't know they broke jack_fst on that fatefull
evening in May. They didn't know when the official release came along
in June. Why should they. They don't test for stuff like this. They
don't even have to care since they are not implementing standards.
They are implementing Open Source software...

As a user no release notes are going to save me from the Wine guys
changing the memory management model (as per Paul) and the jack_fst
guys not revising the app to take it into account. At that point it's
just broken and as a user we hope it gets fixed.

That's the point, to me anyway. Open Source doesn't necessarily imply
any standards, nor any testing. It's just a method for distributing
code.