[linux-audio-user] Linux and Standards

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 20:02:55 EST 2004

On 02 Nov 2004 18:36:41 -0600, Jack O'Quin <joq at io.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > LOL!! Quality Control in Linux software?!?! There ain't no such
> > thing!! This stuff just gets pumped out by developers and user are the
> > quality control division.
>
> Some of us try to do better.

And I'd say that in many cases you accomplish it. And there's no
comparison, absolutely no comparison, in terms of user's access to
developers and how fast ideas might get turned  into reaslity. That is
wonderful in the OSS arena. So it's certainly not all bad.

However, I think this discussion has completely digressed from
anythigng approaching a discussion on standards.

> I've seen a study (in a recent ACM
> Journal article) indicating that OSS is neither better nor worse than
> proprietary code in this respect.  It all depends on the quality of
> the implementation and the skill of the developers.  Testing remains
> one of the least-understood aspects of the art of computer
> programming.
>
> Plenty of commercial developers release poorly-tested crap, too.

Oh, so true, so true...