[linux-audio-user] Sox compand segmentation error

ed orphan millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Thu Nov 4 09:50:56 EST 2004

Can anyone give me a working example of the
Sox compand command?  The one in the Sox
examples ( man soxexam ) does not work on my
machine. Everything else works and it's great to
have these examples or I'd never figure it out
on my own. All I need is a working example of
how to expand and how to compress using Sox
and I'd be very pleased.
This is what does not work:
 As root, using OSS
play my.wav compand 0.3,1 -90,-90-70,-70,-60,-20,0,0
                      -5 0 0.2
The wav file is  16-bit, 2 channel, 44100 Hz
The error message is:
/usr/bin/play: line 205: 1576 Segmentation fault sox $volume
 $fopts $fopts2 "$filename" $arch_defines $device $effects
    duh? Anybody know how to fix this?