[linux-audio-user] hidden qjackctl - how to restore

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri Nov 5 05:43:38 EST 2004

Hi Florian,

Sorry to be so late.

> maybe i'm just blindstruck or plain stupid but when i accidentally hit the
> "hide" entry in the qjackctl popup menu [usually happens when i want to
> reset the xrun count], there's no obvious way to make it visible again.

What WM are you using? If you're on KDE or gnome you can take advantage of
the system tray icon (other WMs probably show a sticky icon somewhere). I
think you probably know that.

Doesn't your WM, whatever it be, have a sort of system tray panel that
presents a minimized window list? If all else fails there's the place to
restore your hidden qjackctl main window visibility.

> I figure this hiding is some "kde thing", right? Bummer, when one doesn't
> run kde. Is there any other way? If not would it make sense to place the
> "hide" entry at some other spot in the popup menu? The topmost is the one
> which gets hit accidentally the most i figure (at least i hit it pretty
> often).

Think of it. That is probably hapenning because you keep the main qjackctl
main window near the top of the screen. Am i right? In that place the
context menu pops up _below_ the mouse cursor pointer, making it easy for
you to click on the first menu item by mistake ("Hide" in this case).

OTOH, if you move the main window towards the bottom of the screen, the
menu pops up _above_ the mouse pointer. The first probable option to be
mistaken will be now "Quit". At least this time it will ask if you're sure
:)

What now?
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela