[linux-audio-user] hidden qjackctl - how to restore

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Fri Nov 5 07:22:38 EST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:43:38 -0000 (WET)
"Rui Nuno Capela" <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:

> Hi Florian,
>
> Sorry to be so late.
>

> > maybe i'm just blindstruck or plain stupid but when i accidentally hit the
> > "hide" entry in the qjackctl popup menu [usually happens when i want to
> > reset the xrun count], there's no obvious way to make it visible again.
> >

> What WM are you using? If you're on KDE or gnome you can take advantage of
> the system tray icon (other WMs probably show a sticky icon somewhere). I
> think you probably know that.

Well, it seems that the "hide" thingy does not "minimize" the window in the
normal way. Of course i can see my minimized windows in the window list, but
qjackctl just disappears completely after pressing hide. It does so both in
fluxbox and in gnome.

It seems to me as if qjackctl closes its X window completely but keeps on
running. Or maybe it "hides" its main widget which is of course not the same
as minimizing..

I don't think gnome has a system tray. It does have soemthing called
"notification area" but qjackctl doesn't show there either when "hidden" (it
hides pretty efectively ;))

> Doesn't your WM, whatever it be, have a sort of system tray panel that
> presents a minimized window list? If all else fails there's the place to
> restore your hidden qjackctl main window visibility.

Ok, two screenhots:

qjackctl before hiding:

http://affenbande.org/~tapas/qjackctl1.png

after hiding:

http://affenbande.org/~tapas/qjackctl2.png

> Think of it. That is probably hapenning because you keep the main qjackctl
> main window near the top of the screen. Am i right? In that place the
> context menu pops up _below_ the mouse cursor pointer, making it easy for
> you to click on the first menu item by mistake ("Hide" in this case).
>
> OTOH, if you move the main window towards the bottom of the screen, the
> menu pops up _above_ the mouse pointer. The first probable option to be
> mistaken will be now "Quit". At least this time it will ask if you're sure
> :)

Right, but this is not an acceptable workaround for me. I take a look at the
source.

I suppose this:

// Main form visibility requester slot.
void qjackctlMainForm::toggleMainForm (void)
{
    m_pSetup->saveWidgetGeometry(this);
    if (isVisible()) {
        hide();
    } else {
        show();
        raise();
        setActiveWindow();
    }
}

has to look kinda similar to this (at least it should include a test for the
availability of the system tray):

#ifdef CONFIG_SYSTEM_TRAY
    // If we're not quitting explicitly and there's an
    // active system tray icon, then just hide ourselves.
    if (!m_bQuitForce && isVisible() && m_pSetup->bSystemTray && m_pSystemTray) {
        m_pSetup->saveWidgetGeometry(this);
        hide();
        bQueryClose = false;
    }
#endif

(from queryClose()). But i just quickly glanced at the code. I couldnt;'
find the popup and what method it calls exactly with that short glance, but
that looks like an ok candidate

	flo