[linux-audio-user] (OT)

Michael T Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Wed Nov 10 03:22:16 EST 2004

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

> Is there a course list you could point me to outlining your course of
> study? Was this a prepackaged degree program or custom designed for
> your own interests?

It's a normal undergraduate degree, at York University (in England).
It'll be detailed somewhere at www.york.ac.uk. The Electronics
department offer courses like Electronics with Music Technology, with
Computer Science, with Avionics, with Media Technology, and so on.

A few people always drop out, because they expect the course to be
focused more on Music Technology. It's not that different from a
straight Electronic Engineering degree, just with a few hours a week
studying subjects like:

Digital & Computer Music
Acoustics and Psychoacoustics
Recording Studio Techniques

Oh yes, and you get alternative projects each year, which cover the same
electronics as the rest of the year, but in some musical way - like
programming an improvising MIDI pianist in C, designing a hardware
sampler in a group, using a DSP and FPGA. And also some recording
projects (remixes, location recordings, etc).

Basically, it's an Electronics degree though. Lots of difficult maths
right from the start. Some fairly advanced physics. Lots of lectures,
labs, and work. It's really meant to prepare you to be an electronic
engineer, possibly working for a company developing audio equipment.

At the York University Battle of the Bands, about half the entrants each
year are just from the Electronics department. Although I guess that's
not too surprising...

In retrospect, I'd have been better off finding a degree in Computer
Science with Music Technology. But they don't do that at York, which is:

1) A good University
2) A lovely city
3) Where I met my girlfriend...

So I'm happy.