[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden not playing MIDI events

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Thu Nov 11 18:08:52 EST 2004

Hi,

I recently installed Gentoo on my box, and I'm really amazed
about the very recent software Gentoo has to offer.

I tried to do some MIDI sequencing on my former Mandrake box,
but I didn't get all things to work.

So, I hoped I could do some sequencing on the Gentoo box.

Unfortunately MusE still freezes as soon as I press the play
button without any error message, so I installed Rosegarden.

I connected my MIDI masterkeybord to my notebook using a
MIDI2USB adapter (UM-1S).

In Rosegarden, I can see the incoming events in the transport
panel resp. the events view on each track.

MIDI through just works fine, I can play my external equipment
connecting both the masterkeyboard and my devices to the
computer.

I then have drawn a one bar segment and placed some drum notes
in it. I can hear my expander playing the base and snare drum
as soon as I paint a note or as soon as I klick on one.

Unfotunately, Rosegarden does not play the events.

As soon as I press the play button, the transport panel
shortly shows that controller data is being sent, but it does
not play my drum events, and the pointer does not cross my
segments from left to the right.

I'm really sure I simply cannot see the wood for the trees, so
any hint would be really great, even if it were a RTFM - as
soon as it includes a link to the correct document ;-) .

But I'm kidding, I read the included manual, the FAQ and asked
Google without finding the needed information.

I wonder because in Rosegarden there are no pointers to be set
on the left and right end of the wished playback area; am I
missing them, or does Rosegarden not need them?

Maybe that's the wee small thing I'm missing?

Any helpful hint could turn me into a glad linux audio user,
so sorry if it is a really silly question ;-) .

My system includes:

* Kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r6
* ALSA Driver Version 1.0.4
* Rosegarden-4.0.9.8