[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden not playing MIDI events

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Nov 12 04:36:40 EST 2004

On Thursday 11 Nov 2004 23:08, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> As soon as I press the play button, the transport panel
> shortly shows that controller data is being sent, but it does
> not play my drum events, and the pointer does not cross my
> segments from left to the right.

The most common reason for this (and something that I really must add to the
FAQ) is that Rosegarden is using the wrong timing source for its MIDI event
timer.  This can happen if you're running JACK and you have JACK configured
to output to a soundcard other than the first one (i.e. not hw:0). Rosegarden
has no way to find out from JACK which device it should sync to, so by
default it always uses hw:0 if JACK is running.

If this is the problem, just choose a different timer in Rosegarden's
configuration dialog (on the Sequencer -> Sync tab).

Chris