[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 16:22:43 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 10:09:59 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Some thoughts of mine, unprioritized and not representing what I want or need:
>
> Interface to PC - 1394, USB, private Ethernet?
> Inputs - 2-xxx
>    - analog
>    - analog + mic preamp (direct or transformer coupled?)
>    - spdif - 1-x
>    - ADAT
>    - word clock

I have a vague recollection that the ADAT format is encumbered in some
way.

For me this would be most useful as a portable i/o, so I'd want a few
analogue ins and outs. Mic preamps would be good, but not essential.

Personally I would be willing to pay over the odds for something like
this, particularly if it had a bit of spare FPGA space that could have a
DSP unit blown on it, or whatever.

> Send/Returns - use normal ins and outs or something special?

Electrically as simple as possible I'd have thought.

> MIDI?

Ideally. Cheap, standard USB MIDI ports are common though, so not
essential IMHO.

- Steve