[linux-audio-user] best DISTRO?

Austin aacton at yorku.ca
Sat Nov 20 00:25:43 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 14:13 +0900, chaotic at free.net.nz wrote:
> So far I've been considering Mandrake but what i've read here
> [http://groundstate.ca/mdkaw] says installing the low-latency
> patch will compromise networld security, which is something i
> will need.  Is there any way around this?

Gah, sorry.  That is SOOO out of date.  But a few notes...

Most of what's written there should still work fine with the
2.4-multimedia kernel.  And netwide security is NOT a big risk for Joe
the Home User.

However, you're probably going to want to use the default Mandrake
kernel, which is now 2.6 based.  We include the realtime patch in the
2.6 multimedia kernel.  I just haven't had time to update the howto.
Some good stuff about 2.6 latency available here:
http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a53
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound10.1.html

Maybe someday soon, I won't be so lazy.