[linux-audio-user] ext3 filesystem

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 11:00:42 EST 2004

Hi,

My hda1 partition is becoming %100 used and I don't
know why. This began happening after a system lockup
where I had to power cycle. I made about 9.7Gig of
space available on the drive but after another lockup
and power cycle the drive is %100 used again.

[studio at stepdaddy studio]$ df -H
Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted
on
/dev/hda2              38GB   36GB  118MB 100% /
/dev/hda1             104MB   21MB   79MB  21% /boot

MOUNT
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)

FSTAB
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
 defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
 defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts
 gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc
 defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
 defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap
 defaults        0 0

I looked for hints in /var/log/messages but didn't see
anything interesting. I didn't see any logs for
filesystems.

Could it be that ext3 is doing something to cause
this? Perhaps the filesystem needs to be checked.

At one point, I removed about two gigs of data and 'df
-H' reported available space at around 500MB. I'm not
sure what that might indicate.

I don't know anything about ext3 and how it works or
what it does but I guess that's where I'll start my
studies. Maybe it's a hardware problem with the HD. I
hope it isn't. If anyone has some clues about what I
should do or ideas for what might be happening, I
could really use the help.

ron