[linux-audio-user] ext3 filesystem

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Nov 22 11:35:46 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 08:00:42AM -0800, R Parker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My hda1 partition is becoming %100 used and I don't
> know why. This began happening after a system lockup
> where I had to power cycle. I made about 9.7Gig of
> space available on the drive but after another lockup
> and power cycle the drive is %100 used again.
>
> [studio at stepdaddy studio]$ df -H
> Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted
> on
> /dev/hda2              38GB   36GB  118MB 100% /
> /dev/hda1             104MB   21MB   79MB  21% /boot

Maybe not related, but I suspect you have the default
"reserved blocks percentage"  (5%). That would account
for the discrepancy between size / used / avail.
5% is 1.9 GB and that's a LOT of space to reserve for root.
You can set it with tune2fs, see the man page.

> Could it be that ext3 is doing something to cause
> this? Perhaps the filesystem needs to be checked.

couldn't hurt to fsck... well, it shouldn't ;-)

> At one point, I removed about two gigs of data and 'df
> -H' reported available space at around 500MB. I'm not
> sure what that might indicate.

I've seen similar behavior with ext3 but I *think* in that
case I had a process that wouldnt' let go of the file.
THe space won't get actually freed while that's true.
Kill should fix that but IIRC it didn't. Reboot showed the
free space I expected.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com