[linux-audio-user] Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB mic input trouble

Peter Brinkmann brinkman at math.TU-Berlin.DE
Fri Nov 26 11:24:08 EST 2004

Hello,
I solved the mic input problem with the Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB
soundcard by switching to a different microphone. I tried a Terratec
Micro Master, a JVC M-201U, and a Sennheiser MKE 46. All of them
had fresh batteries, and they worked just fine when plugged into
the onboard soundcard, but only the MKE 46 produced noticeable input
levels when attached to the Aureon.

I find this sort of ironic since there's a picture of the Terratec
Micro Master on the box of the Aureon, so that one would expect those
two to work together. I also don't understand why the choice of microphone
matters so much, but for the time being I'm just happy that everything
works now.

I would like to point out that tech support at Terratec has been
extremely helpful. Although they don't officially support Linux, I
talked to an engineer who uses Linux at home and spent a lot of time
helping me with this problem. He was the one who, in a 'Hail Mary'
sort of way, suggested that I try different microphones after we'd
eliminated any other potential problem.
    Peter