[linux-audio-user] what about creating a wiki website to submit "soundcard experiences"

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 13:26:56 EST 2004

Hi David,

--- David Stephens <linuxrootuser at gmail.com> wrote:

> My biggest problem is figuring out the config
> scripts. Just weeding
> through the documentation, some of it is outdated,
> is a nightmare.
> Perhaps for the Newbie who is trying to migrate from
> the Big
> Proprietary Software Manufacture, a conscise
> step-by-step guide.
>
> My experience is that that other software is just
> "so easy" point,
> click, sell your soul to Redmond };-)> and it works.
>
> I have friends who want to try Linux, but get beyond
> the initial
> install and they give up.

It might be hard for me to be objective because I've
been using Linux for a fair amount of time. Have you
done a Planet CCRMA install? Fernando is providing an
extremely effortless installation with most of our
favorite applications. I suspect that any audio card
listed and marked as supported in the Alsa matrix will
be up and running without having to deal with driver
issues.

I'm a musician/engineer and don't have the time or
patience for installation issues. During the first
couple years I didn't mind doing admin work but
thankfully no longer have to deal with it.

ron