Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Sun Nov 28 07:51:36 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 23:21, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 16:22 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > 	Man, I've been waiting all day for someone to say this.  Personally,
> > open source is not a religion for me so a closed source driver would be
> > fine and dandy.  Let the flames commence - now where did I put my
> > asbestos underwear?
>
> Eh, it's a slow day, I'm bored.  But I mean it 100%.  Flame away...
>
> So, the next question is, what would it take to make a closed source
> driver happen?  They should start the bidding on alsa-devel at "one free
> FireFace"...

Lee and Jan,

i talk to you as an owner of fireface. :)

I really like the philosophy of not letting any closed source drivers
into the kernel. In the end i only saw people upset because their XY
nvidia or ATI driver wasn't working. Besides they'd need to provide it
themselves, which means a lot more money than just handing out
documentation or perhaps one free unit.

My point of view - either open source alsa driver, or i'll just sell
that unit. And now that they have accused me of causing damage to RME
specifically because of this thread, i can only say, i'll stay away from
any of their products. Speaking of damage, i'd like to see a slashdot
story about this so that 30.000 people can judge for themselves. :)

The best bet would be to find a adat/smux card manufacturer which is
able to release specs and keep the rest as far away from your pc as
possible. :)

Marek