[linux-audio-user] open source firewire

Ryan Gallagher ruinaudio at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 11:55:46 EST 2004

Guys,

Something to consider when planning to develop a firewire audio
interface...  I'm still unable to get decent jackd/alsa performance (sub
50ms latency and clear sound w/full duplex) with my seemingly well
supported USB emi 2|6.  I mean has anyone gotten decent low latency (sub
12ms) performance with a full-duplex USB device?

(BTW, yes I have appropriate patches applied, I'm able to get decent
latency/performance from my onboard generic Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) chip.  It did work better before jack periods were
forced to be powers of 2.)

Anyway, to get to the point... isn't it true that firewire by virtue of
it's similar-to-USB-nature suffers from the same limitations as USB?
Iirc I was told that whatever limitations causing the (IMO) extreme
suckage of USB audio on linux will be present in a firewire interface.

I'm speaking from distant memory here as I've given up on my ~$400 USB
investment, which now collects dust.

What a shame it would be to expend effort and $$$ to find there's some
<cat /dev/random> issue that prevents firewire audio from working
acceptably.

-ry