[linux-audio-user] Re: External MIDI ports disappeared!

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Mon Nov 29 20:01:40 EST 2004

On 29 November 2004 at 16:35, Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan at starband.net> wrote:

> I had my midi ports dissapear after moving from the mm-6 to the
> mm-7 kernel in MDK 10.0. For whatever reason the seq modules
> were not being loaded in the kernel. Once I inserted them with
> modprobe, they were fine.

Hmm.  No kernel changes here.  The kernel I'm using is my default
one in LILO, and I seldom boot anything other.

> Your problem is a little different it seems....did you change
> or alter anything in the time between midi ports showing and
> midi ports not showing? It seems the right modules are still
> loaded according to your lsmod...

Yes.  I turned off the on-board sound.  I did that in order to
get the ENS1317 to be recognized at boot-time.  I couldn't get
modules.conf to get those modules loaded.  I'm 94.81% positive
that MIDI worked after that change.  But, I turned the on-board
sound back on anyway.  No change in MIDI behavior.  On-board
sound is back off now for ease of loading the ENS1317 modules at
boot-time.

I'm using a different monitor and a different PS/2 mouse than I
was when MIDI worked.  It could be that MIDI was broken before
making these changes; I can't remember.  But, I do know that MIDI
hasn't worked ever since changing the monitor and mouse.  The
mouse is using the same exact driver as before.  The monitor
changed resolution capability.  The video card is exactly the
same, as is the video card driver.  I could put it back the way
it was, but it would be truly surprising to me if that had any
effect.  Your thoughts?

--
Kevin