[linux-audio-user] Ardour working again & splitting files

Greg Reddin gtreddin at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 15:51:35 EDT 2004

--- R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Many Tracks
> Import the file into Ardour, drag and drop onto a
> track. Create tracks for each song. Then for each
> track select "P" (playlist), and select the Playlist
> for the track where the region was originally drag'n
> dropped. Then edit the region to include only the part
> you want.
>
> Single Track
> Drag the region onto a track position the Edit head
> between songs and split the region at the Edit head.
> Move split regions to suit.
>
> I assume the live recording is one two channel track.
> If correct, you're not going to mix it but you should
> master it. They are not the same task. Use a session
> with a master bus, track output to master bus, master
> bus output to JAMin. Add JAMin return bus in Ardour.
>
> When a song is mastered to suit your interests, use
> region mode and from the end of the region select back
> to the beginning and then Export Selection.

Actually, the live recording is multitrack.  It was recorded in
Ardour.  Here's the problem:  It's really hard to engineer a
recording when you're in the band ;-).  We recorded a 3-piece
acoustic coffeehouse gig.  We did a lot of switching up, different
people singing lead, sometimes one person playing bongos instead of
guitar, etc.

But, I didn't set the inputs up right.  My vocal channel and the guy
who did most lead vocals were not routed into ardour.  So I had to
use a spare guitar or vocal channel to pick up those vocals via
ambient sound.  I'm using some EQ and dynamics tricks to try to
capture the vocal sound there.  Then on other songs, that same
channel is being used to close mic another vocal or guitar.  So
there's no way I'm going to get a consistent mix.  I'll probably just
get the best I can for each song and put together the ones that sound
similar adding the audience and talking between as I see fit.  I'd
eventually like to package it in two ways: 1) as separate files just
containing a song and maybe some relevant introduction or applause
and 2) as a "live cd" that contains the whole show or just what I can
get mixed well enough.  None of it will be for sale, just for
keepsake (and for my experience).  And one of the guys likes to put
together cd's of "rare" material.

Here's how I ended up getting it to work (in the loose sense of the
word):  I created song markers where each song starts.  Then I would
mix a "set" -- a set being a group of songs with the same lineup.   I
created snapshots for each set in ardour and began mixing each song.
When a song was mixed, I selected the region that represented that
song and used the "export selected region" command to export to
stereo file.  When I finish that part, I'll probably use ardour or
audacity to edit the mixdowns, then master each one, then create a
complete master with all usable songs and add the in-between parts.

I posted that whole process in hopes that either someone else will
benefit from it or someone may have suggestions for improvement.  So
far it's working fine.

Later,
Greg