[linux-audio-user] Ardour working again & splitting files

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 20:14:19 EDT 2004

--- Greg Reddin <gtreddin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I updated planet and my Ardour transport is working
> again.  It looks
> like some significant changes were made since I last
> used it so I'll
> give it more time before bailing off the deep end.
>
> So I found a session that was a live recording I did
> a year ago.  I
> want to test Ardour by mixing down this session.
> But I'd rather
> split it into sections and mix each song separately.
>  Should I do
> that outside of Ardour then reimport the tracks into
> separate
> sessions or is there a way to create separate song
> mixes within
> sessions and mix down to multiple wav files?
>
> What would you think is the best way to work with
> this session?

Many Tracks
Import the file into Ardour, drag and drop onto a
track. Create tracks for each song. Then for each
track select "P" (playlist), and select the Playlist
for the track where the region was originally drag'n
dropped. Then edit the region to include only the part
you want.

Single Track
Drag the region onto a track position the Edit head
between songs and split the region at the Edit head.
Move split regions to suit.

I assume the live recording is one two channel track.
If correct, you're not going to mix it but you should
master it. They are not the same task. Use a session
with a master bus, track output to master bus, master
bus output to JAMin. Add JAMin return bus in Ardour.

When a song is mastered to suit your interests, use
region mode and from the end of the region select back
to the beginning and then Export Selection.

Sorry, no time to provide all the details.

ron