[linux-audio-user] Re: extract audio from avi

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Oct 13 10:01:11 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 09:09, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> I'm not sure does the suggested techniques work in practise.
> All AVI files seems to not work in Linux due that they need
> MS Windows dll files to play. (And those dll's are not sold
> and given separately.)

Well, not all avi's use proprietary formats... most of the ones
you download in the wild will probably be XVID or DIVX, both of
which have native Linux codecs.

For the rest, like wmp9, Mandrake users can just set up a media
source for the PLF (Penguin Liberation Front) in the software
manager and then when they install mplayer, you'll get the
Windows codecs automatically.  I haven't had trouble playing an
avi file (or quicktime file, or realmedia file, or asf/wmv file)
in a couple years, and then mplayer has the -dump-audio option
mentioned in its man page.

I assume most distributions have an "unofficial" repository of
this nature.  It's irritating that most commercially available
videos use proprietary codecs like this, but at least we can
play them.

Rob