[linux-audio-user] xrun madness

cv223 at comcast.net cv223 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 09:34:40 EDT 2004

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

I ran Benno's disk latency tests quite a bit when I was setting up my system.  As far as I could tell, the test just checks playback, not record.  As I mentioned, I have no trouble playing back (in either Duplex or Playback modes) to either disk system.  When I was fussing with the early 2.6 kernels, performance with these tests was always worse than with 2.4.23.  With the 2.4.23 kernel, tests on the IDE/ATA drive were consistently < 3ms, whereas there were usually a couple >3ms blips with the SCSI Raid0 with the diskwrite and diskcopy stress tests (all other tests were <3ms).  When I turned on the write cache on the SCSI drives, the results were like the IDE/ATA, but I got just as many xruns with jackd and ardour.  This was one of the observations that made me wonder whether the problem was actually the SCSI controller (i.e., nothing I did to the SCSI system affected the number of xruns).

I haven't tried those latency tests with the 2.6.9 that I have now, primarily because they didn't match up with the "real world" performance that I am concerned with (multitrack recording).  This is why I'm hoping the ecasound tests will tell me something.

As for desktop, I'm using openbox - I got fewer xruns with it than with gnome.  Never tried KDE, but posts to this list (including yours!) don't encourage me to.

Joel