[linux-audio-user] OT: ide drives

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Thu Oct 21 08:56:16 EDT 2004

I have a Linux computer designated to do audio work.
Currently i have *one* hd as /dev/hda and a DVD writer (DVD-RAM capable)
as /dev/hdc. I want to add another hd to separate system and (audio) data.
I also have a spare DVD drive which I want to plug into the system.

I do not know much about ide related hw issues, but i can imagine that it
could be better to have the two hd on *separate* ide channels, but i don't
really know if it has any significance. Does it?

Does it make a performance difference if a drive works as master or slave?

The only thing i care about is audio performance of the system.
I don't care about the optical drives performance as long as they are
working...

My first try would be something like:

/dev/hda     system hd
/dev/hdb     DVD burner
/dev/hdc     data hd
/dev/hdd     DVD reader

Does this look OK? (Does it matter where i plug the drives at all?)

Thanks for sharing your knowlege,
Robert Epprecht