[linux-audio-user] OT: ide drives

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 10:03:15 EDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:56:16 +0200, Robert Epprecht <epprecht at solnet.ch> wrote:
> I have a Linux computer designated to do audio work.
> Currently i have *one* hd as /dev/hda and a DVD writer (DVD-RAM capable)
> as /dev/hdc. I want to add another hd to separate system and (audio) data.
> I also have a spare DVD drive which I want to plug into the system.
>
> I do not know much about ide related hw issues, but i can imagine that it
> could be better to have the two hd on *separate* ide channels, but i don't
> really know if it has any significance. Does it?

You are correct. It is generally better to have the device you care
able be the master device, but it only makes a difference if you use
the master and slave at the same time. (AFAIK) Since you will likely
not use your DVD readers and burners at the same time you are
recording audio you should not have much trouble.

> Does it make a performance difference if a drive works as master or slave?

Not to the best of my knowledge. The IDE drive and channel operates at
a specific frequency. If the slave is running, it should be running at
the right speed.

> The only thing i care about is audio performance of the system.
> I don't care about the optical drives performance as long as they are
> working...
>
> My first try would be something like:
>
> /dev/hda     system hd
> /dev/hdb     DVD burner
> /dev/hdc     data hd
> /dev/hdd     DVD reader
>
> Does this look OK? (Does it matter where i plug the drives at all?)

I think this setup looks good. Give it a try.

> Thanks for sharing your knowlege,

You're welcome.
Have fun,
Mark