[linux-audio-user] Sequencer choice & Thesoundsite

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Tue Oct 26 11:42:40 EDT 2004

Hi Alejandro,

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 17.00, Alejandro Lopez wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> Two quick ones:
>
> 1. I have MusE and Rosegarden installed in my system and would like to
> start using one for composing. I've taken a look at the homepages for both.
> I would like to compose by entering score if possible. My conclusion after
> browsing is that Rosegarden looks like a better choice for me. Am I missing
> anything? I think MusE can't do score, right?

Yes and no. MusE 0.6.3 has score features but not 0.7.0. MusE's main author,
Werner Schweer, thought it a dead end and removed the support. Instead he
started a separate project http://mscore.sf.net that probably will be
reincorporated some day.

Rosegarden is probably your best bet if you want to start from score. I guess
it would be possible to use something like noteedit to enter score and then
export to midi, but it seems more complicated.

> 2. Still thinking about that great site for soundfonts,
> http://www.thesoundsite.net/ Anyone else remembers it? Anyone knows what
> ever happened to it? (As it just dissapeared suddenly.) Anyone knows of any
> mirrors?

No idea what happened, though with respect to it's size I'd say it died
because of lack of money.  ;-)

There's still www.hammersound.net with some great fonts.

/Robert

--