[linux-audio-user] Re: [QMidiArp] README found

Burkhard Woelfel versuchsanstalt at gmx.de
Wed Sep 1 06:45:44 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 12:20, Matthias Nagorni wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> I take this back to the list because it seems I have to explain the
> approach that QMidiArp uses in a bit more detail...
>
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >    I'm having some trouble with the pattern syntax. Let's says that I
> > want to create an arpeggio based around just playing and holding a single
> > key but creating a series of non-overlapping notes within an octave or
> > two.
> >
> > Play and hold: C4
> >
> > Hear: (quarter notes at tempo) C4, E4, G4, C5, E4, C4, G3, C3
> >
> > and when I release C4 the pattern stops immediately.
> >
> > the arpeggio should always be based around the single key I'm playing, so
> > if I play a G3, I'd hear G3, B3, D4, G4, B3, G3, D3, G2
>
> An example of this kind of arpeggiator is miniArp, an example of my ALSA
> HowTo http://www.suse.de/~mana/alsa090_howto.html#sect07
>
> If you look at its simple pattern synthax you'll find that notes are
> explicitely defined (IIRC on base note C). And here the pattern is
> transposed whenever you press another key on the keyboard.
>
> However QMidiArp works differently. It is based on my experience with the
> MAP1 hardware arpeggiator. The MAP1 takes the notes into which the pattern
> is translated from the chord that you play on the keyboard. This way you
> can play whatever complicated chords with the most complicated alterations
> and the arpeggiator will still perfectly follow it.
>
> I already have an extension to QMidiArp in mind: There could be an
> additional tab that would have radiobuttons to select chords,

... maybe even for every note within one octave.

> like
> e.g. M, m, 7, M7, m7, ... This could then serve to fill the note buffer
> that the arpeggiator uses for its pattern. But then you would have to
> manually change the chord whenever you do a modulation.

Not if you had buttons for every note within one octave, and if you could save
and load their state.

Regards,
- - Burkhard
- --

   Libre Audio, Libre Video, Libre Software: www.AGNULA.org

                        Public key available here:
<http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFD82303B>
key FP 0A65 5E83 F44F 47A5 3DFC 19C5 7779 E411 FD82 303B