[linux-audio-user] Re: Multiple Cards

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Fri Sep 3 15:28:48 EDT 2004

>I've been reading about setting up multiple soundcards in
>modules.conf/modprobe.conf, but most of the guides I've seen talk about
>setting up two different cards -- what if you wanted to set up two
>identical cards (like two delta 1010s, or two hdsp/multiface), will the
>names of the cards (like snd-hdsp) be exactly the same, and will it thus
>be difficult to set something like this up:

>alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
>alias sound-slot-0 snd-hdsp

>alias snd-card-1 snd-hdsp
>alias sound-slot-1 snd-hdsp

>or will it number them somehow?  I haven't tried it at all, I'm just
>wondering for future applications how this would work.

You can use 'options' and 'id=' your modeprobe.conf (2.6) or modules.conf (2.4)
and do something like (from my own config file):

  options snd-usb-audio index=1 id=MayaEX7 vid=0x0c45 pid=0x17fd

then /proc/asound/cards has:

..
1 [MayaEX7        ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio
                     USB Audio at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1, full speed
..

Not sure how you access the id with alsa apps, I use portaudio
and it uses the id to select a soundcard.