[linux-audio-user] Kernel tweaking for low latency

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Sep 7 17:04:32 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 08:47, Joe Hartley wrote:
> So my advice for a Linux audio workstation?  Check out the audio distros
> mentioned above, pick one, and configure the system from the ground up
> around it.  Just itching to try the latest 2.6 kernel patches?  Great!
> I'm really glad people want to blaze that trail!  But it's best done on
> a machine other than the one you want to do recording on this weekend,
> or at the very least in another partition that won't affect your working
> environment.  And then check out the websites for optimizing IRQs and
> hard drives and turning off CD polling and every other trick compiled
> for setting up a Linux audio workstation.

If you can, it might be better to wait for binaries of the new 2.6 low
latency kernel.  All of the stability issues seem to be solved.  The
last major issue was getting it working on x86-64 which seems to also be
resolved; it has been stable for a week or two on ia32 UP and SMP as
well as PPC.  The only a things that are still being worked out AFAICT
are things like the init scripts to activate the low latency features.

I would expect binary kernel packages for your favorite distro to be
available any day now, if they aren't already.

Lee