[linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in the kernel

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Fri Sep 10 02:35:10 EDT 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 23:17,
linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu wrote:
> Wha? realtime-lsm source deb should be fresh enough and if not, it's easy
> to bump up the control files for a real package. I can't think of any
> reason to be copying by hand that's good.

The source deb is what you compile.

The precompiled package is what is not updated simultaneously with the new
kernel version. When you go, say from 2.6.7 to 2.6.8, the precompiled package
may not be valid any longer. Even if it were, one would still need to copy
the ko (or uninstall and reinstall). If out of date, an error will show on
the modprobe. Going from 2.6.8-1 to 2.6.8-2 will not be a problem.

It would, of course, be best if all prepackaged kernel modules that must be
recompiled against the kernel be upgraded simultaneously the new kernel.