[linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in the kernel

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Fri Sep 10 14:54:29 EDT 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 02:35 am, David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2004 23:17,
>
> linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu wrote:
> > Wha? realtime-lsm source deb should be fresh enough and if not, it's easy
> > to bump up the control files for a real package. I can't think of any
> > reason to be copying by hand that's good.
>
> The source deb is what you compile.

Using the kernel-utils? Or doing a make in the module's tree?

> The precompiled package is what is not updated simultaneously with the new
> kernel version. When you go, say from 2.6.7 to 2.6.8, the precompiled
> package may not be valid any longer. Even if it were, one would still need

Or it may be the package maintainer hasn't gotten around to bumping up the
versions yet. If you're in that much of a hurry it doesn't take long to find
out. The idea is to build an unofficial package and install it.

> to copy the ko (or uninstall and reinstall). If out of date, an error will

The way you specified "copy" led me to believe you were bypassing the package
manager.

> show on the modprobe. Going from 2.6.8-1 to 2.6.8-2 will not be a problem.
>
> It would, of course, be best if all prepackaged kernel modules that must be
> recompiled against the kernel be upgraded simultaneously the new kernel.

That could never happen. Besides, it woudl take all the fun out of living on
the bleeding edge :P