[linux-audio-user] Converting sample rate: failed...

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Sat Sep 11 16:04:26 EDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:42:44 +0400
Mikhail Ramendik <mr at ramendik.ru> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Actually I have failed, but this is probably not a software fault. The
> 48000 to 44100 conversion (with both "best sinc" and "ZOH"

The ZOH converter should not be used for anything other than an
audio effect. You should also try SRC_SINC_MEDIUM_QUALITY and
SRC_SINC_FASTEST.

> interpolators) makes the sound *much* worse, the voice is distorted and
> becomes "ringing".

Does it also ring before you do the sample rate conversion?

> I tend to blame vinyl noise for this. Serious denoising distorts the
> sound too much so I don't do it.

The denoising is separate from the sample rate conversion. SRC should
not make it sound worse.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)