[linux-audio-user] Converting sample rate: failed...

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sat Sep 11 16:20:18 EDT 2004

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> > Actually I have failed, but this is probably not a software fault. The
> > 48000 to 44100 conversion (with both "best sinc" and "ZOH"
>
> The ZOH converter should not be used for anything other than an
> audio effect. You should also try SRC_SINC_MEDIUM_QUALITY and
> SRC_SINC_FASTEST.

OK, I'll try... but I don't have much hope.

> > interpolators) makes the sound *much* worse, the voice is distorted and
> > becomes "ringing".
>
> Does it also ring before you do the sample rate conversion?

No, it does not. The voice sounds all right despite the noise, before
the SRC. And after it the voice sounds crappy.

> > I tend to blame vinyl noise for this. Serious denoising distorts the
> > sound too much so I don't do it.
>
> The denoising is separate from the sample rate conversion. SRC should
> not make it sound worse.

But it does :(

(I can put a WAV sample of several seconds, before and after conversion,
up on my Web site, if anybody would care to look at this strange effect)

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik