[linux-audio-user] Converting sample rate: failed...

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Tue Sep 14 06:20:44 EDT 2004

davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:

> I also used my own resampler (FFT overlap type) and heard no difference
> between the original and that one.  So all three sounded almost identical
> to me, but not quite.  There was a teensy-weensy difference with the sinc-
> based one, but it actually sounded a teensy-weensy bit better, not worse!
> I also listened with speakers and two different style headphones, including
> one studio monitor type.

Thanks. It was the playback.

Is your resampler published? I'd like to try it. Since the resampling
turned out to be possible, I will probably use this setup for Vinyl->CD
conversion; and I'd like to have as good a resampler as possible.

> I agree with Erik that this ringing and distortion must come from your
> sound card or driver setup and additional sample-rate conversions or
> something like that, not from the sinc-based resampling.  I am not a
> big fan of sinc-based resampling for fixed-rate conversions, so I would
> tell you if there was anything bad.  I don't hear anything unacceptable
> at all --- other than that the source is very noisy!  That's going to
> be hard to clean without noticeable artifacts based on some cleaning
> I've done in the past (Windows-based, not Linux).  So I wish you good
> luck.

The source is very noisy because that particular recording is a
grammophone one made around 1930, then copied with some cleaning to new
vinyl around 1980. It's DOUBLE mechanical recording noise.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik