[linux-audio-user] Linuxsampler problems

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 22:11:18 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 19:18, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Hi Russell:
>
>   Well, following Mark's link, I compiled and installed the linuxsampler
> stuff, then the lib and GUI stuff from Rui. I can run QSampler, but
> apparently I lack a library for Gigasampler file support. I downloaded
> libgig, but the compile fails and I haven't reported it yet (there may
> be a fix already). Rui indicates that his components are alpha-stage,
> and the LinuxSampler site makes it clear that they're quite a way from
> being ready for prime time.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Dave,
   From a Windows world, GigaStudio POV it is intentionally being
represented as 'not ready for prime time' specifically because those
folks demand both complete compatibility with GSt and huge voice count.
LS is not there so the developers seem to want to scare people off until
the tool is really 'ready for prime time'.

   On the other hand, in my use of LS I find it fully equivalent to
other similar apps, like ZynAddSubFx, Hydrogen, amSynth, etc. They all
have bugs. They all need hand holding. they all crash and we talk to
developers to get things fixed. I haven't found it all that different,
although it is true that the main developers do seem to appear and then
disappear at irregular and unpredictable intervals.

   To ease new users into LS Rui has a page at his personal site that
has all the stuff you need  to build a tested version of LS. Go here:

http://www.rncbc.org/ls/

This is all I use. I jsut wait for Rui to test all three together and
update his page. I doon't mess much with CVS anymore.

Good luck,
Mark