[linux-audio-user] Alsa problems with nforce2 (Solved)

Maarten De Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Wed Sep 22 05:23:52 EDT 2004

> I edit /etc/discover.conf and put disable the modules of OSS and
> Voila!!!!

Remember those words... We will probably see this problem a lot in
the future.

To resume: discover loads the OSS drivers when "discovering" the
sound devices. Obviously, if a user installs alsa, the logical
thing would be to blacklist the OSS drivers in the /etc/discover.conf
automatically. But the problem is that, Debian policy, the alsa package
is not allowed to change the configuration of another package. So the
user has to add the blacklist to /etc/discover.conf himself.

As for as I understand, the solution would be to change discover
configuration from a single file to a directory, where alsa can add
it's blacklist during installation. A similar mechanism is already
being used with hotplug)

But I guess the Debian alsa and discover maintainers should work
this out...

Maarten