[linux-audio-user] tuning freaks

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Fri Sep 24 12:37:24 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:30:46AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>  As I'm sure many of you know, Scala support is already present in
> ZynAddSubFX and I think at least one other Linux softsynth (ALAS Modular
> maybe?). I'll cast my vote for its inclusion in anyone's synth or
> sequencer, I've had great fun playing around with Scala scales in the
> Zyn synth.
>  So yeh, Dave, where's that sequencer ??  ;-)

I know next to nothing about scala ... is it possible to use it to
define arbitrary scales? I have a project in mind for randomly generated
"scales" created by selecting at random 48 different degrees of time
compression or stretching (w/pitch shift -- what's the right way to call
this again?) and ordering them to be assigned to keys on a midi
keyboard. Is this something that can be done easily in a
scriptable-from-python way with any existing running on linux
softsamplersynth? I've heard it can be done with specimen, but I get the
impression it requires lots of gui clicking which is what I specifically
want to avoid.

-Eric Rz.