[linux-audio-user] Just bought a Delta 1010LT, now what..?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sat Sep 25 03:51:28 EDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 07:47 pm, Glenn McCord wrote:
> > <>
> > Have no fear...you can do all that and MUCH more. I had the same
> > transitional
> > plan you did...and I'm VERY happy withj my 1010LT.
> >

> > I use a distro that has rpms and alsa is built into the kernel so I'm not
> > sure. It looks to me like oyur starting from scratch with alsa...
> >
> > Also, at the bottom of that alsa page there's some .asoundrc
> > examples...the
> > one for the "hoontech" works well. It shows 10 ins and 12 outs which
> > is odd
> > but it does give you your multi channel functionality.
>
> Okay, so I've done all that and the card can record and playback with
> ardour and jack. However xmms is packing a sad. It comes up with that
> all to familiar dialog box saying taht I should check if the correct
> output is selected, that no program is blocking the soundcard, or that
> the soundcard is configured properly. If I change the output to OSS
> instead of ALSA, it works but I'm sure I should be able to get that
> thing working with alsa.
>
> To make matters worse, a small tragedy is unfolding on my Linux box.
> Once upon a time with my SB Live! I could have  hundreds of programs
> running, playing, doing whatever and I would never ever get a single
> xrun. I don't know what I have done lately, whether it was from
> upgrading to xorg or having two soundcards in one machine but now I get
> xruns all over the show. Jack doesn't cut ardour out anymore but there
> is all the clipping and popping in the recording.

What settings in jack?

> I have spent countless hours getting xruns to go away. To have them
> mysteriously show up again is such a <enter really violent expletive
> here>. I even went from xorg 6.8 to 6.7 to xfree86 just to see if that
> got rid of them. I went back to the SB Live! and they were still there.
> I have 1GB free and no other settings bar the ones mentioned in this
> thread have changed and now I may as well count 3 days of my life gone
> when I get around to fixing it again. <sigh>

Graphics are the biggest killer for system rescources AFAIK but it could be
kernel stuff too...maybe

> Anyhow, would having two cards in the machine be screwing things up? Has
> anyone got some advice to get xmms to use alsa?

adding another pci device can change your irq's around...
try /dev/proc/interrupts and see where your 1010LT is. Needs to be preferably
not on shared irq and with only like rtc, system stuff before it.