[linux-audio-user] Just bought a Delta 1010LT, now what..?

Glenn McCord clari_player at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 25 09:03:19 EDT 2004

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

>On Friday 24 September 2004 07:47 pm, Glenn McCord wrote:
>

>>><>
>>>Have no fear...you can do all that and MUCH more. I had the same
>>>transitional
>>>plan you did...and I'm VERY happy withj my 1010LT.
>>>

>>>I use a distro that has rpms and alsa is built into the kernel so I'm not
>>>sure. It looks to me like oyur starting from scratch with alsa...
>>>
>>>Also, at the bottom of that alsa page there's some .asoundrc
>>>examples...the
>>>one for the "hoontech" works well. It shows 10 ins and 12 outs which
>>>is odd
>>>but it does give you your multi channel functionality.
>>>

>>Okay, so I've done all that and the card can record and playback with
>>ardour and jack. However xmms is packing a sad. It comes up with that
>>all to familiar dialog box saying taht I should check if the correct
>>output is selected, that no program is blocking the soundcard, or that
>>the soundcard is configured properly. If I change the output to OSS
>>instead of ALSA, it works but I'm sure I should be able to get that
>>thing working with alsa.
>>
>>To make matters worse, a small tragedy is unfolding on my Linux box.
>>Once upon a time with my SB Live! I could have  hundreds of programs
>>running, playing, doing whatever and I would never ever get a single
>>xrun. I don't know what I have done lately, whether it was from
>>upgrading to xorg or having two soundcards in one machine but now I get
>>xruns all over the show. Jack doesn't cut ardour out anymore but there
>>is all the clipping and popping in the recording.
>>

>What settings in jack?

jackstart -v -R -d alsa -d hw:0

Yeah, I know I have optimistic settings but it has worked flawlessly
until now.

>>I have spent countless hours getting xruns to go away. To have them
>>mysteriously show up again is such a <enter really violent expletive
>>here>. I even went from xorg 6.8 to 6.7 to xfree86 just to see if that
>>got rid of them. I went back to the SB Live! and they were still there.
>>I have 1GB free and no other settings bar the ones mentioned in this
>>thread have changed and now I may as well count 3 days of my life gone
>>when I get around to fixing it again. <sigh>
>>

>Graphics are the biggest killer for system rescources AFAIK but it could be
>kernel stuff too...maybe

The thing is, I've always used KDE with multiple windows going and
verbose messages scrolling down consoles and I managed to tweak
everything to work perfectly. I can't see how the kernel could get upset
over a new PCI card. All the audio specific things get turned off in a
2.4.26 setup.

>>Anyhow, would having two cards in the machine be screwing things up? Has
>>anyone got some advice to get xmms to use alsa?
>>

>adding another pci device can change your irq's around...
>try /dev/proc/interrupts and see where your 1010LT is. Needs to be preferably
>not on shared irq and with only like rtc, system stuff before it.

Is this good?

root at upstairs glenn # cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:      16024          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        198          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:       4389          XT-PIC  ICE1712
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi, usb-ohci, usb-ohci
 11:      10635          XT-PIC  eth0, nvidia
 12:       6789          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      10827          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         19          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0