[linux-audio-user] pd and MIDI (was MIDI filter)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Sep 27 03:26:50 EDT 2004

Hallo,
Hans Fugal hat gesagt: // Hans Fugal wrote:

> That looks keen, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get pd
> to talk to my MIDI devices.
>
> $ pd -alsa -listdev
> reading startup file: /home/fugalh/.pdrc
> input devices:
> 1. Sound Fusion CS46xx (hardware)
> 2. Sound Fusion CS46xx (plug-in)
> 3. Keystation (hardware)
> 4. Keystation (plug-in)
> output devices:
> 1. Sound Fusion CS46xx (hardware)
> 2. Sound Fusion CS46xx (plug-in)
> 3. Keystation (hardware)
> 4. Keystation (plug-in)
> API number 1
>
> no midi input devices found
> no midi output devices found
> couldn't open MIDI input device 0
> couldn't open MIDI output device 0
> opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
>
> So it's seeing my keyboard as an audio device but not a midi device. Any ideas?

The -listdev option for midi only works for Windows. On Linux, you
just specify the device you want to use with "-mididev NUMBER", where
NUMBER is the XX in /dev/midiXX plus one. So to use /dev/midi or
/dev/midi0 you use "-mididev 1", or to use /dev/midi20 you use
"-mididev 21". As Pd only knows rawmidi devices and not the ALSA
sequencer (-alsa is just for audio), you might need to load a virtual
midi card with snd-virmidi to be able to route midi data to sequencer
ports. See my howto on this at for example:
http://footils.org/cms/show/24

I suppose your Keyboard is midi device /dev/midi1. Then "-mididev 2"
should let you see events coming in, if you open the patch at the menu
entry: "Media -> Test audio and midi"

Ciao