[linux-audio-user] metronome-free MIDI recording

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 13:34:17 EDT 2004

Hi Hans,

What a great question.  Normally, I do metered recordings and do what you
said we shouldn't do, namely edit the tempo track, but I don't use the
metronome because it seems to discourage any expression at all (to me anyway).
When editing a tempo track, I find it essential to have a quick and
easy way to emit dozens of MIDI messages and also to erase and redo them
quickly.  I don't edit this type of track one step at a time.  It's too
hard to get it to sound right.

For non-metered recordings, I simply don't do any loops at all.  The
assumption behind this approach is that non-metered recordings should not
have identical loops.  Once in a while I make an exception and have perhaps
two or three very long loops, but these are relatively easy to handle.

So at the beginning of any new composition, I ask myself: To meter or
not to meter?  It's a tough question.  Essentially it means: To loop
or not to loop?

I'd be interested in hearing from others, also, and thanks to those who
already did reply.

Regards to everyone,
Dave.