[linux-audio-user] Sample Rate Conversions (was: Converting sample rate: failed...)

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Wed Sep 29 18:51:30 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:19:08PM +0100, tim hall wrote:
> Last Wednesday 29 September 2004 13:59, R Parker was like:
> > David, I support the right to share knowledge and
> > express opinion but I think you need to do a better
> > job of it. Claiming that Erik is wrong, puts the
> > impetus of proof on you. It's your responsibility to
> > provide direct qoutes with publication titles and page
> > numbers. A failure to demonstrate your arguments and
> > show test results becomes a knock against your
> > credibility.
> > Erik has made a siginificant contribution that many of
> > us need. I imagine alot of people have followed this
> > thread and would like it to either end, or resolve
> > with a positive and intellectually compelling tact.
> > David, I'm a satisfied user of Erik's code and will
> > continue happily using it. I imagine that statement in
> > your opinion is an admission of ignorance but I'll
> > happily live with that. If Erik improves his code with
> > or without your help all the better.
> > David, I read your posts knowing I'll learn something
> > and it seems obvious that both you and him are
> > talented. I think we're all better off for having both
> > of you participating and hope it stays that way.
> Well put, thanks Ron.
> Such is the nature of the discussion, that not being much of a techie, I'd
> blurred over it. I thank Erik every time I convert a soundfile. In fact I'm
> really grateful to you all and that's the thought I'd like to hold.

Whether Erik is right or wrong, his code is what we have at our
disposal. In this community the "show us the code" mantra trumps all.
If we can't use it and can't read it, or at least have the option to
read it, it is not of value to us. That goes regardless of whatever
theoretical or actual advantage some other approach may have.

No matter how "wrong" Erik's approach might be from anyone else's
perspective, I LIKE the sounds I get by using libsamplerate for pitch
shifting (via ecasound). For my purposes any perceived or actual
inaccuracy just don't enter into it.

If David has a contribution to make to Erik's code to help it improve
for those who do desire accuracy, I'm all for it. But, if he isn't going
to do that he should stop throwing stones.

-Eric Rz.