[linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Wed Sep 29 17:22:24 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 01:23 pm, Greg Reddin wrote:

Allow me to be the first...I do love easy questions! :)

If you want to spend time actually doing nothing but creating music, spend the
big bux and get paid tech support and someone you can bitch at when it mux up
your best take of the year! Ergo...DP + the Mac to go with...

As far as Audacity goes...Nice tool....but no realtime fx or non destructive
editing...not in the same ballpark as Ardour. In point of fact {and bare mind
I have not played with esound, snd, etc} Rosegarden and Muse have some audio
capabilty but are primarily designed as sequencers. I dont think any of these
are in the same lballpark...not even same city!  Ardour is intended to be a
fully fledged HD recording system comparable to the best stuff out there in
the end. And Paul has edecided to get a life and get married!  Let's shoot
him...how dare he after all... the noive!! :) And I don't care if they go
Beta 102. They just want to be sure the quality and stability is there. To me
thats worth waiting for.

I don;t understand one thing...your quandry is music creativity vs audio
product development but yet an "option" is to do a brand new code write for
something from the ground up?? Me so confused.  If it IS something u want to
do for whatever reason...I'll cheer you on with the gusto!  But>>....... Got
a LONG way to go to catch up to where Ardour is today! 1 big dog, 2 or 3 main
devs and a dozen or so other devs helping on that app!!  Again, if you
do..I'll help test and do whatever. Variety is the spice of life after all...

I have had similar feelings...I Don't want to spend all my time being a darn
geek!  I got into Linux audio for 2 core reasons...It's open source...{ I
have a say...I help test...I help bitch...I don't help...whatever} and it's
bloody free!...and reason 2....the latency capabilities EAT anything I've
seen in Windohs. Not versed with Mac at all.  The down side, for want of a
better phrase, is I can't beat on anyone when they are providing their time
and talents free.

SOmewhere is a balance...I have SOnar XL. If I have to I use it. I still use
it all the time for sequencing. Nothing in the Linux world is up to par in
the Sequencing side but Ardour, only a short time ago was a lot less stable
than it is now. It has come a long way. I have committed myslef to doing a
demo in Linux just for bragging rights. I might end up wasting some time too
but I don't exactly have million $$$ contracts I'm obligated too. I do it for
FUN!

Cheers

R~

--
The Road of Life is paved with Squirrels that couldn't make a decision!