[linux-audio-user] Starts with a pop

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Thu Sep 30 13:04:18 EDT 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Greg Reddin wrote:

> This is something that has bugged me ever since I built my Linux DAW.
> When I boot up, when I start jack, when I open a web page with
> Flash, when I get a licq message -- anything that uses my audio
> driver, I hear a fairly loud low-end pop.

I just had a similar thing happen to me, with a Delta 66 (also an
ice1712), after playing with the command-line alsamixer.  I'm driving a
pair of powered monitors from H/W Out[1,2].

Running envy24control, I found that I had set Master Clock to 88200, where
I normally keep it at 48000.  In fact, switching between 88200 <-> 48000
in envy24control produces the pop every time.  The pop is much louder in
the right (Out2) channel than the left, for some reason I can't explain.

Anyway, if I set it at 48000, I don't get pops when I play audio through
it ("mplayer -ao alsa1x:ice" [1]), so it seems to be related to changing
the sample rate, as other people suggested.

-Jamie

[1]
pcm.ice {
   type plug