[linux-audio-user] Starts with a pop

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Sep 30 21:52:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 14:14, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 11:39, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 20:49, Greg Reddin wrote:
> > > This is something that has bugged me ever since I built my Linux DAW.
> > >  When I boot up, when I start jack, when I open a web page with
> > > Flash, when I get a licq message -- anything that uses my audio
> > > driver, I hear a fairly loud low-end pop.
> > >
> > > Is this common?  Is it a known issue I can fix?  I figure it's a
> > > problem somewhere in the following (backwards) chain:
> > >
> > > Delta1010LT hardware (SPDIF out) -> Delta1010 alsa driver -> alsa
> > > library -> jack.
> > >

> > Greg,
> >    I cringed when I read this post. I had the same sort of problem when
> > I was attempting to use the RME HDSP 9652 under Linux. I was never
> > solved in my case and was enough for me to give up on Alsa ad Linux for
> > a good while. Since the HDSP line has such good support tools, hdspconf
> > and hdspmixer, I was able to trace a lot of stuff that you may not be
> > able to with your tools as I don't know what you have available.
> >

> Did you file an ALSA bug report?  We are not psychic.
>
> Lee

Not sure if a bug report was filed or not. I just went and looked and
found the final bug report I filed on the HDSP 9652 before I yanked it
from my Linux box. It was bug #21. These click and pop problems were
actually much earlier, so possibly that was before the bug system was
put in place. I do remember that I, and others, were asking for a bug
reporting system to be put in place and it eventually was.

I gave Thomas Charbonnel log in rights, as well as root password, and he
was doing development and debug on my machine at that time. He was the
main developer on the HDSP drivers at that time but actually didn't have
the HDSP 9652 to work with directly. He made changes looking at this and
other problems. I viewed the output of hdspconf and hdspmixer to see the
resutls and report back. It was a very intereactive process that
produced some good results - hdspmixer working far better and more
compatibly with the RME versions.

Fially, as I stated earlier, I think this problem was specific to the
use of the AI-3 since it ran at 48K. This may or may not be true, but it
was my thought at the time.

I did find a few notes in Google. Read them if you're interested.

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg10338.html

http://lists.tartarus.org/pipermail/alsaplayer-devel/2003-December/001626.html

Cheers,
Mark