[linux-audio-user] [Fwd: [mtg] freesound 'official' opening...]

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Apr 7 02:25:51 EDT 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 12:53, Esben Stien wrote:
> It would be nice with a site that had music licensed under the gpl. I
> know the gpl was designed for functional works, but entertainment
> works like music, is a functional work for me;). (it gets me places)

That's my ideal too, to release fully GPL'd music such
that any modifications also require that the "source"
to those improvements also be made available, not just
the final rendering to ogg/mp3.

> A gpl music work would need to have it's multitrack available, it's
> finished mastered track, the individual samples, the synth code, the
> matrix roll, etc.

Yes and yes.

> Ideally, in my opinion, it would be flac encoded in a matroska
> container along with maybe some artwork and lyrics.

Or just in a folder available for download as individual
components otherwise a composite file could be huge (as
in potentially multiple gigabytes).

> It's pretty ideal;), but it would be damn nice.

This site has been available for years to do exactly this.

http://opensrc.org

Here is an example where the author made an initial stab
at uploading components but never followed through with
any updates.

http://esm.opensrc.org/fightingfor/

This is an area for doing the same with GUSpats/Soundfonts

http://freepats.opensrc.org

--markc