[linux-audio-user] stupid hydrogen question

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 11:01:22 EDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 12:27 AM, Noah Roberts <roberts.noah at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2005 7:58 PM, Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to write a drum part in hydrogen, but it needs to be in 3/4
> > time.  I see no way to do that in version 0.9.1.  The forums at
> > www.hydrogen-music.org recommend changin the "pattern length" to
> > achieve deifferent time signatures, but doing so doesn't have any
> > affect.
>
> After selecting the patern you are working on, click on the right hand
> drop down in the patern editor pane.  Select 6.  This should put you
> in 3/4 time.  You will see the 4th beat greyed out and if you play the
> pattern it won't play that beat...you'll see.

Huh?  A pattern length of 6 means 3/4 time?  Why?

> > Even if that did work, I would have to triple my tempo, right?
>
> No.  Your BPM is your BPM whether there are 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, or
> whatever beats per measure.
>
>  The
> > tempo control, besides disallowing manual entry and requiring you to
> > use the spin button (yuck), only goes up to 300.  Since the song is in
> > 112, I would need it to go up to 336, right?  Or do I misunderstand
> > what patttern length means?
>
> There is some sort of misunderstanding going on.

Yes, I must be misunderstanding pattern length, but you guys are
misunderstanding my post as well.  I would clarify now, but I'm not at
that machine right now.

I think perhaps the version of hydrogen I'm using might be having some
kind of problem, since the pattern length dropdown doesn't actually
change the pattern length...