[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 with Fedora Core 3

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 19 01:14:10 EDT 2005

<quote who="Fernando Lopez-Lezcano">
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:44, Michael Mossey wrote:
>> <quote who="Fernando Lopez-Lezcano">
>> >
>> > Yes, it should detect both. There could be several reasons for the
>> > failure. One is that for some reason the system does not see the card
>> as
>> > plugged in into the pci bus (which does not make sense as you say it
>> > works under windows). Do a:
>> >   lspci -v
>> > Do you see an entry for the 2496?
>>
>> Okay, I did this, and don't see any entry for it.  There is only one
>> multimedia audio controller, which is "Via Technologies Inc. PCI
>> multi-channel audio controller" which I'm pretty sure is the onboard
>> sound.  Or is this actually the 2496?
>
> Should be the onboard controller...
>
>> > The other reason could be that the card has a pci revision number that
>> > is not recognized by the version of alsa that you have installed at
>> this
>> > point (is this the Planet CCRMA version? Or the original Fedora
>> > version?).
>> >
>> > Try loading (as root) the kernel module for the card and see what the
>> > load process says:
>> >
>> >   /sbin/modprobe snd-ice1712
>>
>> This ran with no output.
>
> Loaded with no problems?? Is it there? Do a:
>   /sbin/lsmod
> and see if the module is in the list of loaded modules.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, it is there!

(Is snd-ice1712 specific to the M-audio card?)

> If so then it recognized your card...
> So what happens if you check what cards are loaded?
>   cat /proc/asound/cards
> and which devices are part of those cards:
>   cat /proc/asound/devices

0 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
                     M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0x9c00, irq 5

  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:       : timer

Looks like it is there in one way or another.  I don't why it didn't show
in the pci bus.

Hmm, maybe I will try reinstalling FC3 and see if alsamixer works then.

-Mike