[linux-audio-user] KDE sound question - in one device, out another

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 12:22:49 EDT 2005

Greetings,

I have a working KDE desktop with two sound devices recognized and working:

- An onboard soundchip (137x) with line-in, mic-in, and speaker jacks.
- A set of USB soundsticks - recognized as an audio output-only
device.  These work fine with XMMS, mpg123, and KDE desktop sounds.

Is there a simple (command-line pipe) or other way to set up an audio
path which would route the line-in of the onboard chipset to the USB
soundstick output?

I do not ncessarily need to record the audio as it passes thru, but if
that was easy to punch in and out, it would be cool.

Also, can anyone suggest any pointer to docs on how to best use a two
device setup like mine under KDE, or linux in genera?

 One point of confusion is that my (Simply MEPIS) installation gave me
ALSA and OSS support, and I have no clear notion as to which to use fo
what nad why... I have alway just used OSS in the past as a lot of the
hardware I had access to preiously has not been well supported by
ALSA.

TIA and aloha,
dave