[linux-audio-user] Announce for new Distro .....PClinuxOS" and Thac's packages

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sun Apr 24 16:06:35 EDT 2005

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> So, I have spouted off about a distro before (I know some of you
> checked it out) and it was not as good as I hoped it would be! :(
>
> Trust me...THIS is not the case this time!!!
>
> Announcing PClinuxOS (PCLOS for short)
>
> http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/
>
> This is based on Mandrake but minus the bloat! One ISO built as a
> LiveCD! You can boot it and not install...no commitment unless you
> want to. The install is simple as can be and fast. KDE 3.4, Fluxbox,
> Gnome, etc. The distro was started by Texstar who used to build
> packages for Mandrake a few years ago.
>
> So, whats that got to do with Music??   Just this; Thac has decided to
> start packaging for PCLOS just as he has with Mandrake. For those not
> familiar with his work...
> http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound10.1.html
>
> I have relied on Thac's RPMS for audio since I started Linux audio
> work. He keeps his packages updated and has about everything worth
> having in his repositories. They have been invaluable to me.
>
> As recently as yesterday, Thac has started his own 3rd party Apt
> repository for PCLOS and as I write I am downloading the first of his
> packages and new mm kernel, etc. We are chatting on the Pclinuxos IRC
> chat room and ironing out a few minor bugs. It will be a few days
> before he has all of his packages done.
>
> Texstar suggested that we might make a liveCD with the key audio apps
> and a R/T kernel for easy usage and evaluation. Obviously some time is
> needed to work the bugs out but this is very likely in the not too
> distant future! I should think those of you working with MDK right now
> would see this as an easy step....others...well, the proof will be in
> the pudding.
>
> More soon....
>
> R~

So just a follow up here:

Indeed, PclinuxOS (PCLOS) is up and alive with Thac's splendid sound
packages amongst others. I Just wiped my MDK install from my production
box (Rather an anxious moment) and installed PCLOS from a single CD.
Then after install I fired up APT and added Thac's RPMs compiled
specifically for PCLOS and have all the core audio apps installed and
running on one of Svetjlo's  RT kernels with no problems.

Still a couple of very minor APT dependency bugs but nothing difficult.

On a side note, I called one of our friends here and he is part of the
Linux Sampler group. Apparently the LS users like the idea of being able
to run LS from a LiveCD on any box without committing to an install.
PCLOS has the ability, via MkLiveCD to set up your box with the apps you
want, and then cut a bootable CD from your system layout. I have not had
opportunity to test this but am assured it works. This is in the works.
I will need a hand from the Linux Sampler experts though...My attempts
to build and run Linux Sampler were less than succesful.

There is also a plan to create a "Thac Live" bootable CD with all of the
sound apps on board. For those who know Thac's work, this will be a
handy tool and hopefully for those who are looking to start out on Linux
or just want a simple solution for another audio rig without committing
to a time consuming install.

More soon.

Cheers,
R~