[linux-audio-user] Announce for new Distro .....PClinuxOS" and Thac's packages

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Sun Apr 24 20:47:28 EDT 2005

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> So just a follow up here:
>
> Indeed, PclinuxOS (PCLOS) is up and alive with Thac's splendid sound
> packages amongst others. I Just wiped my MDK install from my
> production box (Rather an anxious moment) and installed PCLOS from a
> single CD. Then after install I fired up APT and added Thac's RPMs
> compiled specifically for PCLOS and have all the core audio apps
> installed and running on one of Svetjlo's  RT kernels with no problems.

hey there russell

i've dowloaded and installed the pclinuxos live cd ... got thac's apt
repo happening ...

had a few troubles getting rid of KDE and switching to Gnome/XFCE4, but
i think i'm about there now ...

however ... which kernel, from which repository, am i supposed to be
using? with the multi-media kernel, i'm able to start jackd realtime,
however it says it can't lock memorly lock the RT thread ... if i use
Thac's pre-empt kernel, i can't seem to be able to get real-time
privileges at all ... it's a bit confusing, since i'm a CCRMAer thru and
thru, but it would be great to get a live cd setup with ardour and
hydrogen and the other apps i use for recording ... (my recording buddy
uses windows, but wants a way to edit the stuff we do on my linux box
without actually installing linux).

can you give me some general tips on what your alsa/jack/kernel setup is
with pclinuxos, which repositories you have enabled etc ...

help would be much appreciated, and i hope this can be as good as it
sounds :)

shayne