[linux-audio-user] trying to get midi input working

airplays55 at yahoo.com airplays55 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 20:41:01 EDT 2005

The latest version of knoppix features UNIONFS for
easy package installation, and a more complete ALSA
implementation than previous versions, so I ran
alsaconf to setup my soundcard (SB-Live!), and the
external midiports seem to be recognized (see below),
but I am unable to record midi input (I've tried
several apps including steem, muse, and rosegarden4)

How can I troubleshoot this?

# cat /proc/asound/devices
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  1:       : sequencer
  9: [0- 1]: raw midi
 10: [0- 2]: raw midi
 33:       : timer
 (excluding digital audio entries)

# aconnect -i
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 64: 'EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)' [type=kernel]
    0 'EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'